Sunday, March 28, 2010

Aurora Borealis

The prediction for the aurora borealis was moderate - it is a calculated event. All week has been low, so last night I was excited. After dinner, we went back to the hotel to pack a little and since it was early 10:00pm. The lights normally don't start until after midnight. I was not about to wait up until the wee hours to see them, so I called the front desk and put in a "wake-up" call for the Aurora. I finished packing as much as I could and we went to bed. We are laying there watching a little TV and our eyes are very heavy and WHAM the phone rings. I thought who is calling at this hours. When I answer the phone, the person states "this is the front desk, the aurora is out." I jumped out of bed and ran around like a crazy gal. I intentionally did not pack our comfy pants in hopes.... So we grabbed our pants, coats and camera and most important Room Key (prior experience has taught us well). We walk down the hall and other couples are leaving their rooms too. Popular event. We get to the hotel back deck and look and NOTHING. Kyle said we needed to go out front, so we walked out front and looked up. There was a faint cloud horizontally in the sky. It looked weird - nothing like I thought. It was faintly white and just there. When I put the camera up, the cloud turned GREEN! It was the lights! We continued to walk away from the hotel and the lights got brighter. We were going to get into the car and drive away from the "city lights", but I did not want to miss anything. We stood outside for about 30 minutes and saw the most amazing phenomena - I was beaming from ear to ear with inner joy. I thought several times, ok lets go back inside and then the lights "danced" around. I was watching them dance, sway, swirl and move. The faint white cloud turned green and yellow and bright white. I thought several times, that the aurora had disappeared, but then it danced around whispy like and got bigger and brighter. I had the most memorable experience ever!








No comments:

Post a Comment